Last shipment of parts arrived, so last night was build night! It was probably one of the easiest builds I’ve ever done and I feel that the case was a big part of it. Easy cable management with a ton of room to work made the whole process a bit easier.
I was happy to get to the BIOS on the first power up, and was able to get into the unRAID web UI after a restart. Within an hour I was able to get the drives assigned and formatted, user shares created and access levels managed with user accounts. The parity check took about 11 hours, so I let it run overnight and copied over a few videos to test Plex.
Getting Plex installed and running was simple! I was able to map my /media user share to a /media directory in Plex’s Docker container and successfully played video back in Plex on my Xbox One. I’m pretty impressed with unRAID, it’s super simple to set up and get running!
Check out the build video and finished build pics below!
The case arrived today, and it’s a monster! I love how solid it feels and how minimal the exterior design is. There’s cages for 8 drives, I think I’ll use the 3 at the bottom. With special mounting plates for the SSD the 3 space bay will be enough to get me started.
There are a lot of channels for cable routing, even has little velcro strips for cable management!
The rest of the parts arrive Wednesday, I’ll probably plan on doing the build on Friday after work!
I’ve decided that it’s time to upgrade the home server and get working on building a new NAS.
Some history first.
My first home “server” was just a windows box I ran headless. I’d RDP in or map the drives from my other computer. From there I built a freeNAS setup which worked well but I struggled with getting everything working correctly and ended up moving to Ubuntu 14.04.
This has served me well for the past couple years but I feel it’s time to upgrade the hardware and give something new a try!