I’ve decided that it’s time to upgrade the home server and get working on building a new NAS.
Some history first.
My first home “server” was just a windows box I ran headless. I’d RDP in or map the drives from my other computer. From there I built a freeNAS setup which worked well but I struggled with getting everything working correctly and ended up moving to Ubuntu 14.04.
This has served me well for the past couple years but I feel it’s time to upgrade the hardware and give something new a try!
I decided to go with unRAID this time.
I like unRAID for a few reasons. I dig how easily I can add volumes of any size to the array, and will have some peace of mind running a parity disk. My current server has ZERO redundancy.
I also dig unRAID’s capabilities for hosting VM and passing through hardware. I was inspired by this video where they run a gaming rig in a VM on unRAID. Since I also need to upgrade my audio production machine, I figured this would be a fun experiment. I’m planning to approach this in a few phases.
- Assemble the hardware
- Install unRAID and mount an array
- Create user shares
- Get PLEX running in a Docker Container
- Testing Windows 10 VM with FL Studio and NI Audio 2 USB Sound Card.
- Install hardware upgrades
- Double RAM
- 2nd Video Card
- Add another SSD to the cache pool
- Fully transition to VM for production!
Here are the parts I’ve ordered!
- Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Computer Case
- Many thanks for the recommendations on this case. I dig the specialized SSD slots and 8 bays for drives!
- GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 2.0) AM3+ AMD 970 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
- GIGABYTE GeForce GT 610 1GB LOW PROFILE
- Went with a real low end graphics card for the initial install.
- CORSAIR RMx RM650X 650W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular
- AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8350FRHKBOX Desktop Processor
- CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory
- Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 2.5″ 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Disk Drive – 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch – WD30EFRX X 2
- WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive – 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch – WD40EFRX